Position: Project Manager
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Reports to: Senior Project Manager
Duration: 12 months
About RI: Relief International specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from recurrent man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in seventeen countries across the Middle East, Africa, and Asia where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement, and natural disasters are pervasive. Often, RI is the only organization providing healthcare, education, logistics, energy, capacity building, economic development, sanitation, and many other forms of assistance to these highly vulnerable communities.
RI in Turkey is about to start a Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (BPRM) funded project in Istanbul. The project will have four main areas of focus (1) provision of specialized mental health and psychosocial services; (2) provision of comprehensive physical rehabilitation services; (3) community health; (4) livelihood for Syrian refugees with disability (linkage with employment opportunities and self-employment). For the implementation of this project, RI has four (4) local partners.
RI is seeking qualified personnel to cover the position of Project Manager.
The Project Manager will manage aspects of the assigned grant in collaboration with the Senior Project Manager and the Officers. S/he develops, leads, monitors and evaluates assigned project. The role requires active engagement with local partners who support in implementing the project activities. The position has line management responsibility for project staff funded by this Grant.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Under the supervision of the Senior Project Manager, provide planning, programmatic and technical support to the assigned project.
- Ensure activities are in line with the approved project proposal, budget and implementation plan, communicating issues/problems in advance to the Senior Project Manager and preparing course corrections as needed.
- Provide leadership for the assigned project, working to ensure short and long term impacts and outcomes are successfully achieved and there is a positive impact for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local partners.
- Continuous supervision and monitoring of project activities, regularly evaluating progress of the outputs and targets (through on track/off track assessments) and develop corrective actions in coordination with Senior Project Manager to mitigate any delay in implementation.
- Raising procurement requests (PRs) based on project procurement plan/spend down plan and coordinate with operations department to ensure procurement is received in a timely manner.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Project Manager, work constructively with support teams to ensure sound administrative practices with regards to record keeping and communication, and ensure programs are implemented in compliance with donor requirements through the project lifecycle.
- In collaboration with the Senior Project Manager and the Grants Unit, support the organization of program kick off meetings, grant review meetings and grant closeout meetings.
- Draft technical donor narrative reports and other internal program reports and submit to the Senior Project Manager for review.
- Conduct needs assessment (as required) for prospective new partners, in coordination with the Senior Project Manager and Partnership Coordinator
- Perform other tasks and duties as requested by the Senior Project Manager.
- Line manage staff assigned to project, including day-to-day management, developing of work plans, training plans, regular staff appraisal and performance reviews.
- Facilitate regular meetings with staff to ensure regular information sharing on project performance
- Provide coaching and supervision to staff (and partners), in coordination with Senior Project Manager and other departments
- Manage the budget for assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet RI and donor standards with regards to financial management and accountability.
- Hold monthly Budget Versus Actual (BVA) meetings with the Senior Project Manager to review spending and suggest course correction in the event of major underspending or overspending.
- Closely work with partners to review BVAs and Spend down plan to ensure accuracy and compliance with RI standards and donor’s rules and regulations.
- Work closely with RI’s partners to develop details workplans, budgets and spend down plans to ensure accuracy of action
- Work closely with RI’s partners to achieve agreed targets and activities and build and maintain healthy relationship with them
- In coordination with the Senior Project Manager and Partnership coordinator, conduct regular follow-up with the implementing partners to ensure the timely implementation of the projects, donor compliance and where needed provide capacity support to their organizational development.
- Conduct monthly and quarterly review meetings with partners; and provide guidance to them as needed
- Review partner financial and technical narratives and submit for review to the Senior Project Manager to follow up with relevant departments (Grants/Finance/M&E)
- Under the overall guidance of the Senior Project Manager and in coordination with the Program Manager – Partnership and Technical Unit, support the implementation of the partner capacity building plan
- Ensure partner quality of the program through compliance and adherence to RI, donor and national policies, procedures and guidelines, as well as internationally recognized standards.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Support the development and implementation of an effective monitoring and evaluation framework for the project based on RI and donor’ results framework.
- Monitor partners achievement Vs targets and raise concerns to Senior Project Manager as well as partners
- Liaise internally with M&E and Technical Units and ensure issues identified in partners’ M&E systems/data are raised and followed up with partners
- Support M&E and Technical units in the organization and implementation of project’s impact evaluation and assessments
- Contribute and support RI’s knowledge management efforts through collating lessons learned and best practices and disseminating to the team and partners
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain regular and transparent supportive communication structures
- Under the guidance of the Senior Project Manager, hold regular meetings with project’s staff to ensure the project is harmonized and streamlined
- Coordinate with Program staff from other projects and technical units to ensure RI’s approach is streamlined across projects.
- Participate in internal and external coordination meetings, as requested by the Senior Project Manager
- Work with the Senior Project Manager and the Grants Manager on program development including, proposals, concept notes, modification requests etc
- Liaise with partners in the development and review of project proposals and modifications.
- Contribute in the identification and development of new ideas for potential proposals
Qualifications & requirements:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field;
- Minimum three years of experience in project management preferably in emergency response/conflict settings;
- At least two years of supervisory experience in an NGO setting;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of current issues and operating context in Turkey;
- Experience in health and/or livelihood programming highly preferred;
- Knowledge and familiarity with donor regulations (BPRM);
- Fluency in English and Turkish;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, and ability to think critically and creatively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience and diplomacy;
- Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team.
- Preference will be given to Turkish citizens.
- We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence.
- We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- We value
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
- Please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected]
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your e-mail & cover letter where (vacanciesinturkey.com) you saw this job posting.