Job no: 525380
Position type: Fixed Term Appointment
Department/Office: Ankara, Turkey
Categories: Support: Operations, G-6
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, an Advocate
Under the guidance and supervision of the Representative, the role of this post is to provide administrative and secretarial support services to the Representative.
The Executive Assistant is responsible to ensure the smooth running of the Office. This involves management of information and coordination of matters within a substantive team. The post is a key interface with a broad range of contacts including high-ranking officials, both within and outside the Organization. The post prioritizes tasks and organizes work independently based on general direction from the supervisor.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
1. Administrative, executive assistance and secretarial support services to the Representative to facilitate smooth running of the Office and effective processing of information and data.
- Helps manage the immediate office operations with respect to communications, meetings and work flow; identifies complex or sensitive subjects, and contacts, for special treatment as well as priority issues that need to be brought to the supervisor’s attention. As appropriate, provides information and guidance to staff at all levels within the organizational unit to ensure understanding of intent and deadlines.
- Establishes internal tracking systems and procedures for correspondence and documents; monitor work progress and cases of priority and concern to the supervisor.
- Arranges appointments and maintains supervisor’s calendar, receiving high ranking visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers enquiries; Organizes high-level meetings including taking responsibility for finalization of the meeting agenda, invitations, the production and distribution of documentation, and preparation of minutes of meetings. Distribute meeting reports and information and ensure follows-up on required actions.
- Organizes and facilitates the administrative work of the office including establishing internal procedures and tracking systems for correspondence and documents: receives screens and registers correspondence and documents.
- Collects and prepare briefing materials for supervisor concerning official trips or special meetings. Undertake travel arrangements for supervisor, including arranging itinerary, visas, and hotel reservations. Ensure offices are informed of travel arrangements and requirements. Brief supervisor of important developments upon their return.
2. Professional image projected through in-person and telephone interaction. Discretion exercised with confidential information and complex sensitive subject matter.
- Keeps abreast of activities of importance, latest policies, procedures and organizational changes affecting the team.
- Establishes and maintains a records management system containing reference materials and confidential records as required.
- Prepares briefing materials for supervisor concerning official trips or special meetings; drafts responses to written inquiries on a variety of routine and non-routine questions; communicates sensitive information to senior management and coordinates responses to sensitive inquiries on behalf of the supervisor.
3. Effective preparation and knowledgeable delivery of correspondence/communications, documentation and reports contributing to achievement of work objectives
- Prepares correspondence for the supervisor’s signature and may make informal translations into another official language as required. Draft non-substantive correspondence based on first-hand knowledge of work schedule or events, rough notes, or verbal instructions, for supervisor’s approval.
- Communicates sensitive information to senior level managers and coordinate responses to sensitive inquiries on behalf of the supervisor.
- Follows up on the preparation by staff of reports, correspondence, briefing notes and other documents for the supervisor’s reference. Reviews these documents for appropriate format and style, in accordance with standard practices.
- Selects and makes pertinent abstracts and undertake searches for information as directed.
4. Well managed and effective office operations, systems and procedures that facilitate team work and the work of the office.
- May supervise clerical and support staff and coordinate the secretarial service of the office. Verifies that the work is done in accordance with corporate standards and within established deadlines; monitors work progress and cases of priority and concern to the supervisor.
- Works closely with team colleagues and provides support in achievement of work priorities and objectives.
- Establishes follow-up system of actions taken and reports to the supervisor.
- Undertakes any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of Secondary School Education. High School Diploma, business courses or University degree is an asset.
- A minimum of six years of relevant administrative or clerical work experience is required. Office support work experience, including, organizing and supervising the whole range of office support and administrative activities. Ability to work with minimum of supervision. Ability to extract and format data and to solve operational problems. Ability to organize own and others work, set priorities and meet deadlines. Ability to organize meetings and events. Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints. Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with visitors. High sense of confidentiality, initiative and good judgment.
- IT Skills – Computer literacy and the ability to effectively use standard office software tools and other office technology to create documentation, exchange and archive e-mail, and maintain electronic filing systems.
- Fluency in English and Turkish.
- Relevant experience in UNICEF is considered an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are Analyzing, Applying Technical Expertise, Following Instructions and Procedures, Planning and Organizing and Learning and Researching.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Remarks: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Aug 01 2019 GTB Daylight Time
Application close: Aug 25 2019 GTB Daylight Time
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinturkey.com/unicefjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate (on the application form and in your cover letter how (vacanciesinturkey.com) you heard about this position.