UNDP Istanbul Regional Hub for Europe and the ECIS (IRH) is an advisory hub for the region that provides policy and programmatic support to UNDP’s development activities, and works towards assisting Country Offices in the development of country-level initiatives, as well as implements regional-level projects with a wide range of partners. The UNDP Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS (RBEC) has established a Programme Support Unit (PSU) at the IRH under the Quality Assurance and Coordination Team to ensure efficient support to the regional programme implementation. It is within this context that IRH is looking to bring on board a Project Associate (PA) to complement the PSU in administrative and financial backstopping, but also in the programmatic support to the design and implementation, where necessary.
Under the direct supervision of the Team Leader and overall guidance of the managers of the projects in the Sustainable Development Cluster, the PA provides support to administrative and finance services ensuring high quality of work, accurate, timely, and properly recorded/documented service delivery. The PA contributes to the effective delivery of projects by entering and managing data and supporting programme implementation consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The PA works in close collaboration with implementing COs in the Region, operations and other staff in IRH and COs and various consultants. The position requires a high level of initiative and learning motivation.
The present position is established under Sustainable Development Team with the purpose to provide support to the project management requirements of portfolio of projects; Aid for Trade (AfT) Project, Inclusive Labor Market Solutions Project, Supporting the reintegration of (Roma) Returnees in the Western Balkans as well as other activities related to the Sustainable Development Team portfolio.
The primary responsibilities of the position include:
1. Supports formulation of projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures preparation of background information for project formulation, provides support in preparation of project documentation, work plans, budgets and implementation arrangements in line with the UNDP POPP and Results Management guidelines.
2. Supports management and implementation of regional projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures creation of projects in Atlas, enters budget revisions, revisions of project award and project status, determines unutilized funds and donor balances, carries out operational closure of projects.
- Compiles donor financial reports, monitors use of cost sharing funds and other resources. Tracks and reports on mobilized resources.
- In liaison with project implementation agencies ensures that Project Delivery Reports (PDRs) are correct. Uploads PDRs to Atlas. Generates Combined Delivery Reports (CDRs), checks for correctness and uploads into ATLAS. Generates financial transaction detail reports. Communicates with UNDP HQ on financial matters as required.
- Facilitate implementation of project activities according to the project workplan, organizes events, procures expertise and equipment.
- Drafts standard correspondence for project implementation.
- Supports preparation of narrative project reports.
- Maintain project files.
- Provides support in ad-hoc project administrative and operational issues and provides information within UNDP.
3. Provides effective administrative and operational support focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Maintains an internal expenditure control system including timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers, journal vouchers. Makes budget check for requisitions and vouchers.
- Prepares Non-PO and purchase orders (PO) based vouchers in Atlas.
- Assists in procurement and contracting processes. Compiles contract documentation.
- Prepares documents for the HR unit as well as for the Contracts, Assets and Procurement Panel (CAP) meetings.
- Contributes to the preparation of the projects’ recruitment and procurement plans.
- Assists in organization of internal meetings, drafts minutes as required.
- Provides administrative support to the staff of the team as requested.
- Supports arrangement of travel, preparation of travel authorizations, and support by processing requests for visas.
4. Promotes knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the relevant area:
- Prepares reports synthesizing lessons learnt and good practices;
- Contributes to and administers events and spaces pertaining to UNDP knowledge networks; Supports the development of training, learning materials
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Ability to perform efficiently a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties related to general administration support, ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures, in-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, ATLAS, as required
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of online office tools and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others
Managing documents, correspondence and reports
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
- Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction
- Shows sound grasp of grammar, spelling and structure in the required language
- Ensures correspondence, reports and documents comply with established UN standards
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
Planning organizing and Multi-tasking
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Secondary Education with preferably specialized certification in Administration and/or Accounting and Finance.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, financial management, public administration or related field
2. Additional academic qualifications in business, economics, accountancy, international development, trade is an asset
- 6 years of professional experience in fields relevant to the specific duties of the job such as in project administration and/or coordination is a requirement, preferably in an international organization (applicable for applicants having secondary education)
- 3 years of professional experience in fields relevant to the specific duties of the job such as in project administration and/or coordination is a requirement, preferably in an international organization (applicable for applicants having bachelor’s degree)
2. Demonstrated track record in the preparation of technical and financial reports, and accounts management of international projects is an asset for this position
3. Experience organizing exchange workshops and/or training activities at the national or international level is an asset
4. Experience with IPSAS accounting standards is an asset
5. Prior experience with UN Agencies or UNDP project oversight or management would be an asset
1. Fluency in Turkish and English is a requirement
2. Russian language will be an asset
1. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web based management systems (i.e. ERP, Atlas, PeopleSoft programmes) is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension (upon availability of funding)
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinturkey.com/undpjobs