|Vacancy Notice Number:||SVN#TR/2019/244|
|Position Title:||Education Counsellor – re advertised|
|Duty Station:||Sanliurfa -Turkey|
|Classification:||5 months Special Short Term Ungraded Contract –with possible extension|
|Deadline of Applications:||9 December 2019|
|Number of People to be hired||1|
|Eligibility:||Internal and External Candidates|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office in Sanliurfa, Turkey and technical supervision of the National Officer for Migrants Assistance & Migration Management Coordination in Gaziantep and direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant and in close cooperation and coordination with IOM Turkey program teams (integration, social cohesion and refugee response) and with the Şanlıurfa Metropolitan Municipality, the incumbent will be responsible for providing support and services for migrants and refugees and to promote social cohesion for the Sanliurfa Metropolitan Municipality Migration Affairs Branch, Migrant Information and Coordination Center.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet migrants and refugees at the Municipal Migrant Information and Coordination Center (“Center”) to provide necessary guidance and orientation to ease their access to formal and non-formal education and to ensure continuation of benefiting from these services.
- Identify migrants and refugee children’s problems and needs in access to schooling as well as in their success in schools and take steps to provide their families with necessary support in coordination with social service counsellor, relevant institutions and organizations.
- Ensure proper case management for the applicants in need of relevant services.
- Receive requests from children and adult migrants and refugees in accessing Turkish language courses and other educational/recreational courses for children and adults being organized by different public stakeholders.
- Support organization of Turkish language courses for children and adults.
- Support organization and delivery of educational, recreational courses for children and adults in coordination with different public stakeholders and civil society organizations.
- Support organization of the Center team’s informative group sessions and trainings for adult migrants.
- Regularly report migrants and refugees’ common problems and needs in access to education services, as well as sustainability and quality of services.
- Meet and liaise with the local public authorities (Provincial Directorate of Education, Provincial Directorate of Education, Provincial Directorate of Migration Management, Social Assistance and Solidarity Foundation etc.), civil society organizations to improve access and services of education for migrants and refugees.
- Participate relevant field visits undertaken by the Center and/or organize field visits if required.
- Contribute to organization of education briefings, trainings and preparation of informative materials on education.
- Work closely with other counsellors and interpreters of the Center.
- Report challenges and progress recorded in realization of duties.
- Keep and save all project related documents, monthly reports and its supporting documents in file.
- Enter project related data regularly and accurately to the database system,
- Give information about CCTE program and organize awareness raising sessions to migrant and refugees for dissemination of CCTE.
- Ensure effective referal mechanism to the relevant public autorities, IOM, UN agencies, other NGOs, the Center’s other counsellors and follow up the referals,
- Ensure timely Monitoring and Evaluation is done to ensure quality of services and activities.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Sociology, Economics, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in relevant field and in working with vulnerable groups;
- Proven experience in providing support and services for migrants and refugees;
- Proven experience in promoting social cohesion;
- Good communicational, analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Good communicational and written skills in Turkish and/or Arabic;
- Good level of computer literacy;
- Residing or willing to reside in Şanlıurfa.
- Fluency in Turkish and Arabic is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a “hands-on” approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
- Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
- Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to [email protected] or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 9 December 2019.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your e-mail & cover letter where (vacanciesinturkey.com) you saw this job posting.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.