The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Residence and Support Staff)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Consulate General in Istanbul is part of a world-wide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a Community Liaison Officer (CLO).
The Community Liaison Officer acts as a bridge between staff assigned to the Consulate-General from the UK, their families and the Consulate-General’s Corporate Services Team. The CLO is a key point of contact and support for staff and families before, during and after their move to Istanbul, including the process of identifying suitable housing. The CLO also works closely with Corporate Services Team on a range of issues.
In more detail, main responsibilities will include:
Welcome and arrival
- Answer any queries from staff and their spouses/partners who are considering bidding for the post;
- Contact staff and families prior to arrival and send relevant information;
- Liaise with the accommodation officer in the identification and allocation of housing, representing the families’ interest;
- Maintain, distribute and collect the crockery and bedding float;
- Final check of accommodation and provide groceries for first 24 hours;
- Keep Welcome Pack updated;
- Take all newcomers on tour of city (shops, medical, educational and recreational facilities etc);
- Ensure newcomers are introduced to the Community.
- Provide a confidential listening ear/ advise on appropriate referral;
- Provide on-going support and follow-up;
- Give support in cases of sickness/ bereavement;
- Lead or coordinate community events, eg Christmas and Easter childrens’ parties and social events to introduce newcomers to one another.
Medical and Welfare
- Liaise with Corporate Services Unit/FCO Medical & Welfare team on any relevant medical matters;
- Keep abreast of personnel policy developments and disseminate information.
- Act as Secretary to the Post Housing Committee;
- Visit all new properties as part of the housing identification and selection process.
- Chair the Post Charity Committee;
- Assess requests to hold charitable events.
- Send prospectuses of schools used by Post, annually to DSFA;
- Visits to key personnel in schools and nurseries;
- Accompany families on school visits and support/advise families in school selection procedure.
- Maintain guide on spouse/partner employment opportunities copied to DSFA.
Liaison with DSFA
- Submit DSFA Annual Return by November each year;
- Provide regular up-to-date information for the DSFA country boxes;
- Arrange DSFA meetings/lunches.
- Liaise with other missions’ CLOs;
- Produce regular Turkey network newsletter in liaison with CLO, British Embassy, Ankara;
- Liaise and network with local groups/organisations.
- Coordinate regular briefing meetings for partners/spouses with DCG, Corporate Services and Overseas Security Manager;
- Keep an updated list of Children at Post;
- Be aware of post contingency and evacuation plans – act as Welfare Officer in the Post Crisis Management Plan;
- Plan and coordinate recreational events;
- Send regular updates to London, including the regular Cost of Living Allowance Surveys;
- Attend Post Security Committee meetings;
- Hold regular update meetings with Deputy Consul General.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Fluency in English (both oral and written);
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work with people from any background;
- Have strong communications skills, both in writing and orally;
- Have a good understanding of the issues faced by staff moving to live overseas;
- Have good organisational and delivery skills;
- Be able to handle personal information confidentially and with discretion;
- Be able to work flexibly without close supervision;
- Be familiar with living in Istanbul.
Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service
25 August 2019
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post
British Consulate General
Starting monthly salary (USD)
1 October 2019
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a permanent full-time contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
The monthly salary for this position is 1,447.61 USD gross A2 level. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax required by local law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Turkey. The British Consulate does not sponsor for work permits.
The successfull candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and a probation period of 2 months.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General in Istanbul are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Turkish employment law.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We are committed to developing a learning organisation that enhances business performance, maximises our staff’s potential and encourages staff innovation and development.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Consulate will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinturkey.com/embassyjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in both on the application form and in the cover letter where you saw this posting (vacanciesinturkey.com)