Procedures and Eligibility: This position is open to applications from Group 1, Group 2 and all external candidates, provided that requirements regarding professional experience, academic qualifications, language, etc. are fulfilled.
TO THE ATTENTION OF EXTERNAL CANDIDATES: External candidates must be legally present in Turkey at the time of application, recruitment and hire. Non-Turkish citizens are required to submit a valid Turkish residence permit to be considered. Your application will NOT be considered if;
- The application form is not duly filled.
- The questionnaire at the end of the application form is not answered. (for external candidates)
- A valid residence permit is not attached to the application. (for non-Turkish external candidates only)
Duties and Qualifications: Senior Protection Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships The Senior Protection Assistant normally reports to a more senior Protection colleague. The incumbent monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards and provides functional protection support to information management and programme staff.
The Senior Protection Assistant provides quality, timely and effective protection support to persons of concern (PoC) and identifies opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and safeguards in operational responses. S/he contributes to designing a comprehensive protection strategy and may liaise externally with local authorities and partners on protection issues as guided by the supervisor.
The Senior Protection Assistant also ensures that PoC are involved in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Provide counselling on protection issues to PoC; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Support activities in protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Conduct preliminary information gathering and interviews in support of eligibility, status determination, durable solutions and social needs assessment.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan for PoC as part of the protection strategy.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Participate in individual protection case management including cases of GBV and child protection. Monitor and report on cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for PoC in voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Draft reports, routine correspondence, update relevant databases and compiling statistics within the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
- Contribute to initiatives to enhance national and local protection capacities.
- Select PoC for preliminary interviews and decide which relevant information to share.
- Enforce integrity in the delivery of protection services by local implementing partners.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications Education & Professional Work Experience Years of Experience / Degree Level G5 – 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher Field(s) of Education Not applicable
Certificates and/or Licenses International Law; Political Science; (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience Essential: Not specified. Desirable: Not specified.
Functional Skills IT-Computer Literacy CL-Protection & Solutions Awareness PR-Protection-related guidelines, standards and indicators PR-Refugee Protection Principles and Framework (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Language Requirements For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English. For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language. For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a test. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. No late applications will be accepted.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. The monthly net salary is between TRY 7,540 and TRY 9,468 depending on relevant experience, dependency status and language proficiency. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the Office of HR Management of United Nations. See below for this postion’s Operational Context
I. Nature of the Position: Assisting coordination meeting organization and note taking, following up individual cases are among the duties. Experience and knowledge of GBV and child protection would be desirable.
II. Interaction with Persons of Concern or External Stakeholders: The incumbent will interact with PoCs during focus group discussions, individual case follow-ups, field and TAC visits, and while implementing field-based projects. The incumbent will be meeting with public institutions and humanitarian organizations regularly.
III. Reporting and Managerial Expectations: This position will not have any managerial duties, yet reporting constitutes a significant part of the incumbents’ ToR. This position reports to the NoA at Hatay FU.
IV. Additional Languages, Skills and Qualifications: English and Turkish are essential, knowledge of Arabic or other local languages are desirable. Excellent inter-personal and communication skills, being a team-player and problem solving skills are required.
The closing date of the job opening is 30 July 2021.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinturkey.com/jobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form and in your cover/motivation letter how (vacanciesinturkey.com) you heard about this position.