SCI employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Operations Manager leads on the delivery of high quality programs for children in that deliver immediate and lasting change for children in accordance with the country strategy. The Save the Children strategy in Turkey is focused on partnership with civil society, private sector and governmental organizations so it is expected that the post holder will ensure that Save the Children efforts through the project cycle are effective on delivering against our strategic objectives
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Country Manager
Staff directly reporting to this post: Project Managers, Awards Manager, Supply Chain Manager
Dimensions: $5-10 million p.a. , approx. 20 program implementation staff
Location: Istanbul with frequent travel to Hatay, Ankara and other cities
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
General organizational management
- Play a leadership role within the Senior management team making significant contributions towards the SMT terms of reference
- Participate in risk management processes across the country office
- Participate in change management initiatives in the country office, and lead change management within the operations team to ensure that staffing and structure is fit for purpose
- Contribute to the process of inducting new staff
Oversight of project delivery
- Coordinate enabling functions at country level for effective delivery and field support
- Line manage field sites ensuring effective decentralized management, decision making, budget holding, reporting and external coordination
- Line manage project managers
Operational performance & management improvement
- Conduct essential standard self-assessments and monitor improvement plans
- Monitor and report performance against KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) related to award management, logistics and project delivery
- Set departmental priorities and plans, including additional KPIs and performance objectives as needed
- Implement a continuous system of improvement in areas of oversight
- Oversee the awards management function ensuring that it is developed in line with accountabilities agreed with other departments
- Oversee the supply chain management function ensuring that it is developed in line with accountabilities agreed with other departments
- Ensure contribution of operations team to our emergency preparedness plan and work with CD (Country Director) to ensure we have a clear emergency preparedness focal point
Development and delivery of strategy
- Contribute to the development of country strategies to ensure that information gathered through the implementation cycle and through our partners feeds into development of future strategy
- Work closely with PDQ (Program Development and Quality) team to ensure effective processes exist for program portfolio management, accountability, program learning & knowledge
Project cycle management
- Ensure that the operations team makes effective contributions to proposal development
- Ensure that award management staff coordinate effective setup of new projects
- Oversee project implementation including effective budget holding
- Ensure that donor compliance rules are well understood and incorporated, drawing on support from internal control and compliance adviser where needed
- Ensure that good quality donor reports are submitted on time
- Ensure effective close out of awards.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least 5 years of management experience in a humanitarian or development setting
- Master degree in development or other social sciences or experience that could be evaluated as commensurate.
- Strong experience of project/program cycle management in humanitarian or sustainable development programs
- Experience of working within a complex and matrix organization structure
- Demonstrable experience developing and advancing more junior staff
- Experience in international development systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices in emergency management
- Familiar with effective financial and budgetary control
- Solid project management skills
- Ability to analyze information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Previous experience of managing and developing a team and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Fluent in Turkish and English
- Knowledge of Save the Children systems and ways of working
Benefits Package provided to National Staff:
- Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position.
- Transportation allowance
- Annual leave
- Private Medical insurance
- Life and Critical Illness insurance
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Kindly ensure that you apply in English with your up to date CV and a cover letter by explaining your salary expectation to [email protected]
- Please indicate (in your e-mail and cover letter) where you discovered this job posting(vacanciesinturkey.com).
- Please note that applications later than mentioned deadline will not be considered.