: 14/Dec/2021, 5:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: SEC
: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
: Various Locations
Duration: Initially 6 months with possible extension (part-time assignment)
Post Number: N/A
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
The Sub-Regional Office for Central Asia of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-SEC) is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing strategies for addressing food security, agriculture and rural development priorities in the sub-region. The Organization’s technical assistance includes institution building, development of knowledge and competencies, and exchange of experience among countries facing the challenges of transition.
FAO SEC is implementing a five-year project entitled “Strengthening regional collaboration and national capacities for management of wheat-rust diseases and resistance breeding in Central Asia and Caucasus (CAC Rust)” (GCP/SEC/016/TUR)” funded by the Government of Turkey started in January 2020. The expected outcome of the project is improved productivity and resilience of wheat productions against emerging wheat rust epidemics and races by strengthening national capacities and regional collaboration. The improvement of productivity and resilience of wheat productions against the threats of pest sand diseases are amongst the priorities for FAO’s work in the Central Asia. In this regard, the project aims to prevent spread of wheat rust diseases and their integrated management at national and regional levels.
Regional Specialist will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Sub-regional Coordinator for Central Asia (SRC, SEC), the guidance and technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) of the Project and operational guidance from SEC Field Programme Unit (FPU) and in close collaboration with FAO Representatives of the countries where the work will be implemented, particularly with the representative in the country where he/she is based. He/she will cooperate closely with relevant national authorities and other stakeholders.
- Agriculture, plant protection or plant pathology
- Wheat-rust diseases
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Sub-Regional Coordinator for Central Asia (SEC-SRC) of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the technical supervision of the Agricultural Officer of FAO-SEC (LTO), operational guidance from SEC Field Programme Unit (FPU), in coordination with other International and National Consultants and the LoA Partners, Regional Specialist will provide support to the project implementation by performing the following main duties:
- Act as the focal point and assist in coordinating project activities in the target countries with project staff, FAO Country Offices, government authorities, FAO assigned service providers and contractors, and relevant national and international institutions for the smooth implementation of the CACRust project (GCP/SEC/016/TUR) including facilitating sharing experiences between the project countries (Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan);
- Assist in identification of stakeholders working on wheat rust diseases, formulation and preparation of national events;
- Plan, coordinate and monitor in collaboration with national partners and consultants, project activities with regards to monitoring, surveillance, prevention and management of wheat rust diseases including the following:
- Conduct of field demonstrations and trainings for farmers and public officers by the FAO country offices and national institutions and consultants
- Conduct of national workshops and meetings by the FAO country offices and national institutions and consultants
- Development of national strategic programmes and contingency plans by the FAO country offices and national institutions and consultants
- Translate technical documents as required between English and Russian and vice versa;
- Monitor the implementation of project activities in the countries to ensure that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan;
- Monitor progress of implementation in relation to annual work plan in particular timeliness, achievement of project objectives and impact, in reporting them regularly though progress reports, web resources, activity bulletins, and implement corrective measures when required;
- Provide support to promote the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization’s mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including the contribution to development and maintenance of communication tools (e.g. website, press releases and publications) in coordination with Communication Officers of the project;
- Contribute to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, presentations, sections of reports and studies and other inputs for publications;
- Undertake outreach activities; participate in the development of training workshops, seminars, etc.; participate in and make presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Provide administrative support as required including the preparation of technical specification, requests, reports in consultation with FPU and SEC administrative unit;
- Facilitate the flow of information to stakeholders by regular meetings and emails;
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- MSc degree in plant pathology, plant protection or agriculture,
- 5 years of progressive experience in plant protection sector preferred in Central Asia
- Working knowledge of English and Russian
- National of one of the Recipient Countries (e.g. Azerbaijan, , Kyrgyzstan, Turkey, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan) or resident with a regular work permit in one of these countries
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with multiple stakeholders including national governments and regional organizations, effectively building an understanding and partnership with them
- Excellent communication skills in English and Russian, both orally and in writing, and ability to draft technical reports in English
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help or have queries, please contact:[email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website:http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinturkey.com/jobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form and in your cover letter) how (vacanciesinturkey.com) you heard about this position.
Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT