DIRECTORATE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Recruitment and Employment Management Division
Vacancy Notice n° o34/2020
Local recruitment procedure1
LOCAL TEMPORARY CONTRACT
Under the authority of the Head of the Office and the supervision of the Programme Manager, the Project Officer carries out multiple assignments to meet the overall and specific objectives for the implementation of the European Union/Council of Europe Joint Programme ‘Strengthening a Culture of Democracy in Basic Education Institutions’, in co-operation with the donors, partners and other stakeholders, and in compliance with the organisation’s regulations and/or donor requirements.
The Project Officer performs the following key duties, in close co-operation with the project staff in the Office and in Headquarters, in accordance with the Organisation’s procedures, guidelines and priorities, with a concern for quality, efficiency, accuracy and confidentiality:
- assists, supports and advises when required in the overall implementation and coherence of the
application of the activities;
- co-ordinates the work plan and its calendar of activities in co-operation with and under the guidance of
the Programme Manager and the Education Department in headquarters;
- co-ordinates the preparations of activities together with service providers and beneficiary;
- monitors and follows up on purchase orders, contracts, mission orders, travel and accommodation;
- assists short-term consultants when carrying out tasks and missions in the field; providing technical and
substance briefings to them before and during missions;
- provides support to the organisation of each input;
- provides technical and substance briefings to all short-term consultants prior and during their missions;
- drafts terms of reference for different contractual engagements aimed at implementing each activity;
- contributes to draft briefing notes, speeches, speaking points and official correspondence;
- assists the Programme Manager by drafting reports;
- contributes to the efficient functioning of the office in collaboration with the Head of Office and the direct
Project management in headquarters;
- undertakes official journeys in connection with activities described above.
Please note that the incumbent may be required to perform other duties not listed in the vacancy notice.
Employment is limited to the duration of the Project which is expected to end on 31 July 2021.
Please note that the remuneration for this position is 10 712.11 TRY (gross monthly salary).
The incumbent is expected to establish good working relations with representatives of the government, public authorities and the judiciary. She/he may be required to travel within Turkey and internationally and needs a valid passport with no restrictions for travelling abroad.
Information on the Project:
The overall objective of the Project is to integrate a democratic school culture that corresponds with universal core values as well as fundamental rights and freedoms into the education system. The specific objectives are to
(i) strengthen democratic values and practices in schools and school communities, to (ii) strengthen the capacity of stakeholders including policy makers, education administrators both in the ministry and at provincial level, inspectors, school principals, teachers, parents, and local civil society organisations (CSO) on democratic school
culture and to (iii) raise awareness on democratic school culture in and beyond schools.
This local recruitment procedure is open to applicants already present in Turkey.
Only applicants who best meet the following criteria will be considered for shortlisting.
› Completed full course of general secondary education, followed by a post-secondary qualification
corresponding to a minimum of two years’ study in education, international relations, social sciences,
political science, or related fields;
› A university degree preferably in education, international relations, social sciences, political science, or
related fields would be an advantage.
› At least three years of relevant professional experience in carrying out corresponding duties of project
management and implementation in the framework of international projects, preferably in the field of
› Excellent knowledge of Turkish (mother tongue level);
› Very good knowledge of one of the official languages (English).
› Nationality of host country or one of the 47
› Under 65 years of age at the closing date of the vacancy notice.
Employee Core Values
› Professional and technical expertise:
- administrative experience (including planning, administration, finances and reporting);
- knowledge of project management (Project Management Methodology, logframes, budgeting etc.);
- ICT skills: sound computer skills and experience using standard tools in office applications (word
processing, presentations, outlook, spreadsheet, databases, internet publications).
› Teamwork and co-operation
› Service orientation
› Planning and work organisation
› Analysis and problem solving
› Results orientation
› Concern for quality
› Professional and technical expertise:
- good knowledge of the education system in Turkey;
- good knowledge of
- understanding of the main issues linked to education reforms and democracy;
- knowledge of the EU project management rules and administrative procedures.
› Drafting skills
› Learning and development
For more information, please refer to the Competency Framework of the
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinturkey.com/CoEjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form and cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesinturkey.com) you saw this posting.
Applications must be made in English or French and must be submitted at the latest 25/08/2020(midnight French time).
Any false statements knowingly made by applicants in their application for employment or at the time of their engagement will result in the termination of their employment by the
Applications will be examined with regard to the requirements of this vacancy and applicants will be informed in due course of the outcome of your application. This may take some time after the closing date. Preselected candidates may be invited to take written tests before an interview. Written tests may be eliminatory.
In accordance with the Staff Regulations of therefore accept applications from persons over this age.
The conditions of recruitment and employment which apply are contained in Rule No. 1234 of 15 December 2005 laying down the conditions of recruitment and employment of locally recruited temporary staff members working in the disability, marital or parental status, racial, ethnic or social origin, colour, religion, belief or sexual orientation.
During the different stages of the recruitment procedure, specific measures may be taken to ensure equal
opportunities for candidates with disabilities.