The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is a UN organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. UNV does this by enhancing opportunities for voluntary participation by all peoples. UNV fosters conditions in which volunteerism can flourish through three main activities: advocacy, integration and mobilization
- Undertake mapping of CSO interventions in north of Syria in the light of recommendations from consultant’s report from Nov 2019;
- Undertake the capacity assessment of the League of Syrian networks aims to identify the gaps of a well-functioning platform of coordination of the Syrian civil society in Turkey;
- Lead development of a strategic framework for capacity building of the League of Syrian networks, members and CSOs in general;
- In the light of capacity assessments and strategic framework for capacity building propose substantive design and management of key activities in the project;
- Ensure close coordination with the NGO partner Community at all stages of the project for better design and implantation of the project;
- Organize and facilitate stakeholders’ meetings and workshops to come up with shared understanding about various aspects such as implementation plans, reviews, lessons learnt, and M&E framework;
- Under the guidance of Programme Manager and the UNDP Resident Adviser, ensure effective partnership with stakeholders within UN, such as OCHA, with INGOs and donor community;
- Successfully pitch the capacity building project and identify the potential sources of funding for resource mobilization to address the funding gap;
- Coordinate implementation of activities with League of Syrian networks, members and CSOs, and other partners in the project;
- Document and report on the progress of the project activities including but limited to through internal and external periodic reviews;
- Support the UNDP cross-border programme as needed in any other areas related to capacity assessment and development of CSOs.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
- Minimum Bachelor level university degree in International Development, Business Administration or in the field of social sciences or another relevant field.
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible work experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and assessment of civil society projects;
- Experience in developing or facilitating capacity development activities, learning materials and programs related to project management and/or civil society strengthening;
- Experience in UN programming/ project management highly desirable;
- Experience in directly supporting Civil Society Organizations with institutional strengthening and or project management an asset;
- Experience in leading/managing teams is an asset.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Turkish(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
- Demonstrate integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promote the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Display cultural, gender, religious, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Creates effective advocacy strategies;
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals;
- Generates for original and innovative ideas and effective solutions to problems;
- Looks at experience critically, drawing lessons, and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations;
- Documents successes and uses them to project a positive image;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor.
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and counterparts to recommend a strategic approach;
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned;
- Promotes and encourages country office action with local missions of donor countries as well as appropriate authorities for increased contribution to UNDP resources;
- Identifies needs and develops proposals to be presented to donors and governments;
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms;
- Effective presentation and report-writing skills; strong analytical and strategic skills as well as good written and oral communications skills.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UN’s Goals:
- Creates effective global advocacy messages/strategies;
- Contributes to the elaboration of a global advocacy strategy by identifying and prioritizing audiences and messages;
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses;
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level.
Management and Leadership:
- Ability to build strong relationship with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to the feedback;
- Approach the work with energy and positive and constructive attitude;
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Lead the team and provide mentoring to his/her colleagues;
- Ability to produce results under a complex and conflict-stricken environment;
- Strong conflict resolution and change management skills.
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Leadership, Self-Management, Working in Teams
- * Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesinturkey.com) you saw this job posting
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Turkey and legal residents in Turkey with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 22-09-2020