Turkey, Headquarters Locations: Switzerland
Short-term contract assignment
For every child,
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does – in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this Commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life – in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions – her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens – addressing inequity – not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
This position functions as part of an out-posted Regional Office team in Istanbul. It will directly support the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECARO) professional staff team and involve close collaboration and regular communication with the Regional Office in Geneva and the Country Office in Ankara. When necessary, the post will provide administrative support for ECARO and with arrangements for ECAR related meetings.
How can you make a difference?
In the capacity of Office Assistant, you will be supporting the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECARO) outposted team in Istanbul by providing a range of procedural, administrative, operational support in developing, implementing, executing and monitoring their activities, ensuring timely and effective delivery that is consistent with UNICEF rules and regulations.
This will include:
1. Liaising with relevant colleagues in ECA Regional Office and national partners to contribute in the production and distribution in the region of communication tools and materials.
2. Providing support on office budget revision/preparation, implementation status, determination position of funding utilization, operational, and financial closure. Monitoring budgets and financial expenditures, ensuring compliance with UNICEF rules and regulations, keeping supervisor informed and advised on actions for decision/follow up.
3. Providing logistical support to arrange events/workshops/meetings for UNICEF ECARO and other Country Offices in ECAR in Istanbul and other cities as relevant.
4. Providing travel assistance to staff and consultants in Istanbul, for travel arrangements and entitlements based on the organization’s rules and policies. Briefs/de-briefs staff members and interns on issues relating to related administrative matters such as visas, security clearance, documentation procedures. Extracts, inputs, maintains and verifies correctness of travel records in the organization’s travel system to ensure accurate transactions related to travel costs and staff travel. Collect background information and assists in the preparation of budgets on travel costs and maintain travel budgetary control records.
5. Assisting in procurement and maintenance of UNICEF Istanbul office, services, furniture and equipment, by interacting with the UNICEF RO/CO Operations, Procurement and UN Common Premises unit. Safeguards office furniture and equipment (including equipment handed over to staff), maintains inventory records and registers all office property and equipment and documents the bureau procedures.
6. Assisting in onboarding process of new staff members and interns, including timely administrative actions for residential procedures and other relevant procedures for international staff. Supports recruitment of interns and maintains gender rosters and lists.
7. Provide administrative support in a timely and effective manner, including well established security arrangements for the office. Serves as security warden, and Deputy Security Focal Point, and maintains essential contact lists and establishes internal communication networks, and liaises with UNDSS in Istanbul as necessary.
8. Provide all administrative support to the gender section, especially in developing and maintaining the sections programme budget, regular expenditure monitoring, recruitment of consultants and contracts, maintaining the gender roster, regular updating of the gender team sites and folders, and any other tasks as agreed with the Adviser
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completed secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible work experience in provision of administrative support services is required. Experience related to the support of programme activities is considered an asset.
- Experience working in an international organization is considered an asset;
- Advanced IT skills and experience in working with Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Resource Management system; Experience with SAP is considered an asset
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability.
The core competencies required for this post are….
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
- Analyzing (1)
- Learning and Researching (1)
- Planning and Organizing (1)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (1)
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
CLOSING DATE: 23 September 2020
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinturkey.com/unicefjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form & in your cover letter) where (vacanciesinturkey.com) you saw this job posting.