Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
The organisation has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognised charity and a valuable component of the humanitarian safety coordination system.
Today the organisation provides daily support to more than 850 NGOs in eleven of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
The Syria programme supports more than 180 NGOs to deliver vitally needed aid and assistance to an estimated 13.1 million people in need across the country. First launched as an emergency response operation in 2014, INSO Syria has grown to become a regional programme, present in all of the regional Syria response hubs.
INSO Syria is now seeking an experienced professional to join our team as Safety Advisor – East. The post will be based in Amouda, Syria.
Safety Advisor positions are highly rewarding roles, offering a unique opportunity to work in a close-knit team giving security analysis and advice that is not only some of the best of its kind, but that is also vital to the efforts of the NGO community to deliver aid and assistance to the thousands of people who need it.
Successful candidates will be outgoing and resilient, with the ability to analyse complex security issues and contexts, give sound practical safety and security advice, and communicate to an excellent standard of English both verbally and in writing. Above all else they will share INSO’s commitment to humanitarian principles.
· Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, and other key actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
· Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and in-depth, nuanced contextual analysis through: daily flash alerts, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
· Facilitate and lead regular NGO community security roundtables, presenting trends and facilitating discussions.
· Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation plans.
· Manage a small office, including supervision of national staff and oversight of local logistics and administration.
· Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
· Fluency in English to an impeccably high standard (written and spoken).
· Graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
· Significant experience living or working in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
· Outstanding writing and analytical skills (samples will be requested).
· Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices & principles and their application.
· Ability to adapt to multi-cultural and diverse social backgrounds.
· Understanding and commitment to the humanitarian principles of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
· Minimum of (1) year’s recent experience working on Syria – ideally in an NGO safety role or equivalent – and demonstrable understanding of the context.
· Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
· Existing information networks.
· Local language proficiency.
Key Personal Competencies:
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A people manager
Terms & Conditions:
12-month contract with expected start date on or before 15 October, €4550 per month salary, 4 calendar days annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every 3 months, €1000 R&R allowance every 3 months, in-country housing provided, global medical coverage and AD&D coverage.
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy:
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process. As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
- All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professional references;
- INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address;
- All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified;
- The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid proof of identity (passport, ID card);
- All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.);
- All new hires will be required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct as a condition of employment
- Interested persons are requested to send the following to [email protected] no later than 7 September 2019 and ensure to reference “Safety Advisor – Syria” in the subject line of your email:
· Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (1-page maximum).
· Up to date CV (5-page maximum).
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in both your e-mail and cover letter where (vacanciesinturkey.com) you discovered this job posting.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the closing date.
Please note that during the course of the recruitment process, one relevant writing sample in English that demonstrates your analytical and report reporting abilities (10 pages maximum) will be required.
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2 MB if possible.
- vacanciesinturkey.com will appreciate it if you can SHARE this job announcement on social media as we provide our services for FREE for both job seekers and job providers.