The International Organization for Migration is seeking qualified Turkish nationals and non-Turkish
nationals holding a valid residence permit for the following position based in Gaziantep, Turkey.
|Vacancy Notice Number:||SVN#TR/2019/91|
|Position Title:||Operations Assistant|
|Classification:||6 Months Special Short Term Graded Contract-with possible extension (G5)|
|Duty Station:||Gaziantep- Turkey|
|Deadline of Applications:||27 May 2019|
|Number of Vacant Positions:||1|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
For more than 7 years the conflict inside Syria remained unresolved and the heavy fighting between the government and opposition forces continued throughout the country causing both destruction and division resulting in massive humanitarian needs across Syria as well as massive displacement of the population. The number of people in need of assistance has grown to over 10 million, including 6.4 million internally displaced persons.
IOM supports the implementation of the whole-of-Syria approach in the framework of the UN Security Council 2165 passed on Monday 14 July 2014, authorizing the UN/IOM to initiate cross-border operations from neighbouring countries. IOM Turkey works with CCCM, Shelter/NFI Working Groups, International Non-governmental Organisations (INGOs) and Syrian partners on identifying vulnerable displaced populations inside Syria, procuring required Non Food Items (NFIs), organising transportation across the border and distributing the items to Syrian people in need.
Under the overall supervision of the Emergency Response Officer and the direct supervision of the Operations Officer, the incumbent will provide support related to operational activities in the emergency response under the Cross border operations inside Syria to ensure and promote compliance to the IOM Standard Operating Procedures and Operations guidelines.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the implementation of project activities and contractual obligations including planning, coordinating, mobilizing implementing partners, distributing of Non-Food Items (NFI), emergency shelter and other related humanitarian response in the cross border operations.
- Provide administrative support in the project implementation including filing, preparing purchase and payment requests, following up of delivery and status of goods and performing other financial activities in coordination with procurement and resource management unit.
- Coordinate with the implementing partners on the drafting of the service agreements, planning for the delivery of items (NFI, Shelter, etc.) determining actual distribution costs, submission of documentations (distribution plan, good receipts, waybill etc.) and ensure delivery of logistics requirements.
- Carry out regular field visits to monitor and follow through the transhipment process at the government designated borders and ensure proper, accurate, timely delivery and handover of items to the selected implementing partners operating inside Syria
- Coordinate with partners and authorities including logistics cluster hubs for the delivery/shipment plan, acquiring of transport slots, booking of trucks.
- Maintain communication with Turkish Authorities and customs brokers to ensure timely access of goods and be able to report delays and schedule transshipment.
- Support the coordination activities with the humanitarian clusters (NFI, shelter, logistics, CCCM) and other coordination mechanisms such as cluster organized review board.
- Provide support to ensure internal coordination between the operations, logistics and warehouse including regular check of the stocks availability, following up delivery schedules and share relevant information (ie. IP delivery plan, types of trucks, name of IPs, etc.)
- Maintain regular communication with the implementing partners inside Syria and to logistics and transport companies.
- Gather data from the field related to needs assessments, distributions and evaluations and maintain database accurately and in a timely manner. Maintain the database and conduct basic data analysis.
- Ensure that all correspondence and operations are following the UNDSS rules and procedures, IOM standards of Conduct and Confidentially Agreement.
- Perform such other duties as may be required. Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Management, Humanitarian Assistance or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience in humanitarian response or in the delivery of emergency humanitarian support including transport;
- Experience in the field of migration issues, project design and implementation;
- Familiarity with administrative management;
- Extensive work experience in challenging environments and operational activities in a postconflict area required;
- Experience in liaising with local, regional and international counterparts and humanitarian partners needed;
Experience working in an International Organization is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
- Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to [email protected] or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 27 May 2019.
- If you wish to apply for this position, please specify that you saw it on vacanciesinturkey.com
- vacanciesinturkey.com will appreciate it, if you can SHARE this job announcement on social media as we provide our services for FREE for both job seekers and job providers.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Liked it? Found what you were looking for? Please take a second to support Vacancies in Turkey (ViT) on PATREON, which provides free services for both job seekers and job providers.