Internship (climate change, environment and DRR) with UNICEF office for Europe and Central Asia in Istanbul (from January to June 2022) full time
For every child, Hope
The overall purpose of the assignment is to assist the UNICEF staff working in climate change, environment and DRR. The incumbent will support the UNICEF Europe and Central Asia Regional (ECAR) Office to assist UNICEF country offices to integrate environment and climate, in line with UNICEF’s mandate and its Core Commitments for Children. In particular, s/he will contribute to the effective management of UNICEF’s programming, coordination, and monitoring and reporting for the work on integrating environment and climate.
How can you make a difference?
- Support in the finalization of Sida proposal on air pollution and inception phase of forthcoming project implementation. This includes providing support in updating the proposal, liaising with Country Offices, taking meeting minutes and follow up on actions.
- Support in compiling data for Climate Risk Index in ECAR Region. This includes liaising with CO for quality assurance of selected data, compiling and analyzing data. Updating the regional risk calendar based on INFORM, country office risk analysis and other open data sources to trigger early warning mechanisms and share with the team for follow up actions.
- Support in increasing the visibility of environment and climate work. This includes assisting in monitoring and analyzing environment and climate indicators in ECAR region.
- Support in coordinating virtual briefings on environment and climate integration. This will entail mapping of needs based on regional study, supporting in gathering and compiling resource materials.
- Assist with the preparation of briefing notes, situation reports, funding appeals, donor reports as per the need of section. This would require tracking deadlines, editing country office inputs, compiling consolidated reports and liaising with CO focal points for any required clarifications.
- Assist with the partnership building, monitoring, reporting and documenting with IFRC/ RCS in Central Asia and beyond, CADRI support to Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan, CESDRR and UNDRR in Europe and Centrals Asia, IBC Task Team on Environment and Youth for mobilizing additional resources for child centered Climate/DRR/preparedness programming in the ECA region.
- Assist with research, compilation, migration of documentation on DRR/CCA to the ECM/share point site for DRR, Climate Change and manage Knowledge Management Platform being established under the UNICEF-IFRC/RCSs partnership.
- Any other task that may be requested by the supervisor.
The intern will work under the guidance and supervision of the UNICEF Senior Climate Change Adaptation and Environment Programme Specialist, in accordance with the standards, norms and procedures of UNICEF.
Conditions of Service
The intern will work either part-time or full-time at the UNICEF ECARO office in Istanbul (if covid related measures in place permit) for a duration of up to 6 months (full-time equivalent). Interns will be provided with a monthly stipend in accordance with the UNICEF procedures in place. If interns are not based in Istanbul, they should be ready to cover all other expenses such as travel to the duty station, accommodation, meals and any additional costs above and beyond the stipend. Interns without Turkish nationalities or residence permits are personally responsible for obtaining necessary visa for the whole duration of the internship. Office might only support with the NV for the visa application if needed.
UNICEF accepts no responsibility for the medical insurance of the intern or costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during the internship. Interns have to demonstrate a proof of medical insurance with the coverage in Istanbul prior to the beginning of the internship.
The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNICEF but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
To be considered for an internship with UNICEF, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- be enrolled in a Master degree programme or graduate school, or be a recent graduate;
- be at least 18 years old.
- have strong academic performance as demonstrated by recent university or institution records or, if not available, a reference letter from an academic supervisor;
- have no immediate relatives (e.g. father, mother, brother, sister) working in any UNICEF office; and
- have no other relatives in the line of authority which the intern will report to
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Be enrolled in or graduate from development studies, public administration, statistics, environment and studies, political science, international law, human rights law or a related field,
- Strong interest in human rights, especially child rights, environment and climate, international humanitarian response system and disaster management,
- Knowledge and understanding of human rights mechanisms and of the Convention on the Rights of the Child,
- Understanding of research methods and processes, and data analysis,
- Prior experience in the work environment of an international agency, NGOs, UN, or international institutions would be desirable,
- Excellent command over Excel, Word, SharePoint etc and creating graphs and visual products,
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of Turkish is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Self-starter, with ability to multi-task and work to deadlines,
- Analytical and conceptual thinking,
- Attention to details,
- Able to work in a multicultural setting,
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinturkey.com/jobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form and in your cover letter) how (vacanciesinturkey.com) you heard about this position.
Application Deadline: 28 Nov 2021