|Title: Health Technical Adviser – Protection and Health Assistance to Syria Together (PHAST)
Department: PHAST Project Management Team (PMT)
Location: Turkey- Gaziantep
Reporting to: Technical to WoS Health Advisor
Direct reports: PHAST Chief of Party
Budget responsibility: Non-Applicable
ABOUT Relief International.
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
The Health Technical Adviser will be responsible of providing strategic, technical support and coordination to the humanitarian health and nutrition sector response for RI’s PHAST project, ensuring appropriate coordination between RI and its health implementing partner and other health players. In this role the health advisor under the supervision of the Chief of Party (DOCP) will also ensure that effective partnership and collaboration are maintained for technical cooperation, program coordination’s, information sharing and knowledge networking. He/she will provide technical oversight, guidance and advice to the implementing health and program teams at RI, its partner. The health Advisor will be accountable for the agreed health outcomes and overall health objective and will ensure robust health sector interventions. He/she will also play a role in representing RI and its implementing partner at coordination bodies and with donor as needed.
The PHAST Project Management Team (PMT) shall be recruited and hosted by RI with primary focus on PHAST project Implementation. The PMT shall be composed of:
- Chief of Party (CoP)
- Compliance, Partnership & Operation Manager.
- Finance Manager.
- Data Analyst
PHAST PMT maintains collaborative/coordination linkages with RI and its implementing partner focal points in Turkey and RI WoS for the functions of (M&E, Safety and Security, HR, operations, Management, Protection, etc.)
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Strategic technical direction and oversight and successful implementation of the up-to-date health standards, protocols and regulations (international, local and donor regulation).
- Organize and lead regular technical coordination meetings between RI and its implementing partner health technical focal points, provide timely support and feedback on arising challenges and requests for support and keep relevant focal points at the hub and WoS informed on key outcomes/challenges and needed support.
- Support in the development and update of work plans, in addition to support to the program teams in determining budget implications, and revisions according to health sector outputs and results
- Work closely with teams of expatriate and/or national staff to complete health sector goals on time and on budget.
- Support the CoP in routinely evaluating activity progress, conducting on track/off track assessments and determine necessary actions to course correct.
- Oversee the preparation and submission of technical program reports that are timely and meet institutional and donor requirements.
- Support the CoP in working constructively with support teams to ensure sound administrative practices with regards to record keeping (health data and activity related documentations), compliance with donor regulations, communications, etc.
- Ensure that both RI and its implementing partner receive an overarching snapshot on achievements of the PHAST project through regular reports and presentations, including trends, challenges, opportunities, and recommendations for the health sector improvements/adaptations.
- Review the short- and long-term plans for delivery of project services, and provide guidance to the health sector staff, health facility staff and/or local partners to improve planning, management and delivery
- Implement/improve health monitoring systems and record keeping methods that support internal and donor reporting as appropriate
- Support clinical audits to assess status of health and nutrition services, quality of medical supplies and facilities, and on-site health information systems. Provide a summary of recommended areas of improvement, areas of success, and lead the commencement of an action plan with PHAST health sector staff and/or health facility staff to evolve and make positive systems improvements where needed
- Provide direction to PHAST team during outbreaks of disease or other health emergencies to ensure rapid response. Coordinate with the Rapid Response Coordinator at the RI NWS hub.
- Monitoring and evaluation of program performance is properly undertaken for adjustments, acceleration and improvement of program delivery. Uniform and standardized systems and processes are followed for data collection, analysis and reporting for both RI and its implementing partner under PHAST project.
- Assess the status of current health program, structure, functions and standards and devise a health program quality improvement plan in close coordination with health, M&E and program staff.
- In close coordination with CoP and Deputy hub team leader, advise an individual capacity assessment for national counterparts at RI and its partner based on project management approach.
- National counterparts’ capacity building plan focused on project management and technical aspects
- In coordination with the CoP and deputy hub team leader, set individual capacity building goals/indicators for PHAST health staff.
- Set up health program improvement indicators and implement health program improvement plan
- Propose and implement capacity building activities aimed at enhancing skills of local health providers and/or partner(s) in delivery of primary care, maternal and child health, reproductive health, etc.
- Support in analyzing health trends and gaps stemmed from the implementation of program activities and secondary sources to advise solutions either through existing resources or new program development processes.
- Uphold and promote RI’s commitment to ensuring the safeguarding and safety of the vulnerable communities we serve.
- Consistent with RI’s safeguarding and protection policies, ensure all people who come into contact with Relief International are as safe as possible.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
This position will require a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- A medical doctor with advanced degree in a health or nutrition field (M.P.H; MSc health policy and Management; MS epidemiology; MS global health, etc) in addition to experience managing grants or donor-funded projects;
- Minimum of seven years professional experience in lead management implementing emergency response programs, preferably in a conflict setting;
- Experience managing and coordinating emergency/rapid responses – outbreaks, population displacement etc.;
- Advanced skills in leadership, coordination, representation, planning, assessment and project management;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards;
- Strong English language skills (writing and speaking) required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinturkey.com/jobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form & in your cover letter where (vacanciesinturkey.com) you saw this job posting.
To apply for this post, click on the “Apply” button in the job advert page
You will be asked to upload a CV and Cover Letter. The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages long and explain why you are interested in this post with Relief International and how your skills and experience make you a good fit.
Closing date. Please apply immediately we will be reviewing applicants on a rolling basis, therefore may withdraw the position for the job board closing date.
Due to limited resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Note to external agencies, we will not be accepting CVs from third parties.
Relief International is committed to protecting our staff and the communities we work with from abuse and harm including sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and sexual harassment.
All staff are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct.
Recruitment to all roles in Relief International include a criminal records self-declaration, references and other pre-employment checks, which may include police and qualifications checks.