Under the Country Director’s guidance and supervision, the Public Relations and Government Liaison Manager will work closely with Suriye Yardım Dernegi’s Senior Management Team (SMT) and Program Managers to establish and maintain supportive relations with relevant Government of Turkey authorities at national and local levels to ensure support and remove barriers to the effective implementation of SYD’s programs in Turkey and northern Syria. The Public Relations and Government Liaison Manager will be mainly responsible for establishing and maintaining contact with relevant authorities to improve understanding and support for Suriye Yardım Dernegi’s program at all levels of public engagements. The position holder is a member of SYD Senior Management Team (SMT)
Responsibilities and Tasks
1-Build and maintain SY’s profile and relationships with relevant government actors in order to facilitate smooth-running of SY operations
- Produce and implement an engagement strategy to strengthen SYD’s relationship with Turkish government representatives.
- Produce and implement standard operating procedures for Government Liaison.
- Advise Country Director, Senior Management Team and Program Managers with regard to relevant Government of Turkey (GoT) policies and procedures with potential impact on humanitarian work.
- Establish and maintain a calendar of meetings with relevant GoT representatives.
- Regularly meet and coordinate with national and local level GoT contacts to maintain strong relationships on behalf of SYD, ensuring a coherent approach to government liaison.
- Arrange and participate in meetings with GoT representatives for the Country Director, other members of SMT and Program Managers, based on the engagement strategy and agreed calendar.
- Facilitate visits for GoT representatives to SY’s premises and field sites as required.
- Collaborate with Program Managers and the rest of SY’s team as and when liaison with GoT authorities at local or regional level is needed, especially for planning meetings and workshops.
2-Map and track key policies and decision makers related to Suriye Yardım Dernegi operations
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of SYD’s strategy and program and GoT policies and procedures regulating humanitarian work.
- Map out and establish a database of contacts of relevant GoT authorities at national, regional and local levels and prioritize contacts with whom SYD needs to develop/maintain strong relationships for smooth-running of its program.
- Tracking/sharing of GoT plans/schemes; review/analysis and alignment of SYD‘s data with those of GoT.
- Representation: Raise Suriye Yardım Dernegi profile where appropriate in the provinces as well as Ankara.
- Information & Documentation:
- Collect relevant information from relevant stakeholders to prepare reports, information & communication products and operational decision-making as and when needed.
- Produce monthly reports on key information relating to government liaison and coordination as well as changes in legislative or operational context.
- Support Functions :
- Supports SYD in all Governmental related activities—MoUs, Permission letters, developing a strong network with the district authorities at all levels, organizing regular meetings in collaboration with the SYD and GoTstaff.
- Drafting, tracking of MoUs, Permission Letters and tracking progress and approvals from GoT authorities at all levels.
- Any other tasks as needed to contribute to organizational success as requested by country Director and Senior Management Team
- Tertiary education (Bachelor minimum) in Law, communication, political sciences, International relations, social sciences or any other related field
- At least 7 years of work experience, of which at least 5 years’ experience in a relevant government liaison or stakeholder engagement-related position.
- At least 3 years of experience in a similar position with an NGO or the UN, including interaction with national-level government entities.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills with proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to match style and format to the audience
- Ability to conduct presentations by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum necessary information, and making and defending recommendations
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively, including the ability to prepare reports and presentations, both English and Turkish.
- Proven ability to work in partnership or liaison with other organizations and government authorities.
- Proven ability to work in a diverse, multi-cultural environment.
Required Technical Skills
- Strong, demonstrable understanding of Government of Turkey structures and ways of working at national, provincial and district levels
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of appropriate approach routes for NGO-government liaison in Turkey at national, provincial and district levels
- Demonstrable strategic thinking skills and experience of working at a strategic level
- Excellent relationship-building and relationship-maintenance skills
- Ability to work under pressure and against tight deadlines
- Attention to detail and commitment to producing high-quality work
- Strong networking skills and experience
- Understanding of the Syrian context and Government of Turkey’s relevant policies.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
Required Language Skills:
Fluent in Turkish and advanced English. Arabic is an asset.
- Please send a CV and cover letter indicating your experience to the attention of HR Department in Syria Relief to [email protected] with the job code “SR.TR.ANT.PRL“ in the subject line.
- If you wish to apply for this position, please specify that you saw it on vacanciesinturkey.com
- vacanciesinturkey.com will appreciate it if you can SHARE this job announcement on social media as we provide our services for FREE for both job seekers and job providers.
- Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.