ABOUT SYRIA CIVIL DEFENCE
The Syria Civil Defence (also known as The White Helmets) is a community-based first responder and community worker organization established as a response to the Syrian conflict. The organization has been working in non-regime-held areas inside Syria, currently joining nearly 3,000 volunteers operating through 87 community-based teams and 33 women’s points. Their work has received unparalleled levels of international recognition and support for a local organization in war, becoming a symbol of humanity and inspiration not only in Syria but internationally.
Syria Civil defence receive both governments and private funding with an annual budget of around 25 Million USD. Our Headquarter is in Syria and we operate support offices in Turkey and overseas.
We are committed to the principals of independence, humanity and impartiality. We work in accordance with the international humanitarian laws and we measure our performance by how good our teams’ civilian protection service is, as judged by the civilians we serve.
We pledge to do whatever we can, wherever we can, for as long as we can to protect the Syrian civilians and to achieve a lasting justice in Syria and for all Syrians.
SCD is an equal opportunities employer and applications are actively encouraged from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Syrian Civil Defence Organization is seeking to hire an English Content Editor, to Support SCD’s media team efforts, manage English social media platforms, create and edit English language materials on Syria Civil Defence website and other mediums, also monitoring international media.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Job Title: English Content Editor
Duty Station: Istanbul Office
Contracting Type: Short-term contract/ Extendable
Line Manager: Media and Communications Manager
Line management responsibility: NA
Full/Part Time: Full time
Probation Period: 3 months
Tasks and Activities
· Create and publish articles and other materials on Syria Civil Defence website
· Translate various materials from Arabic into English and vice versa
· Summarize international media coverage of Syria situation and Syria Civil Defence in particular.
· Manage Syria Civil Defence’s platforms on social media.
· Provide support to Syria Civil Defence’s female volunteers through increasing their engagement and visibility on Syria Civil Defence platforms
Required Qualifications Education, Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Journalism or English literature is preferred)
· Minimum three years of experience in journalism or social media management or any other relevant field
· Previous experience in advocacy and campaigning.
· A good understanding of international media dynamics
· Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
· Knowledge of professional Turkish is desirable.
· Ability to work effectively under pressure.
· Excellent time-management skills.
· A positive and active team member.
· Proficiency in using Microsoft Office tools
· WordPress website management
· Turkish nationality is a plus.
How to Apply
- If you are interested in applying for this position, please fill out the application form on this link and attach your CV and a covering letter explaining your background, suitability for the role and interest in what we do.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesinturkey.com) you saw this job post.
Closing date for application: 10th October 2020
Only shortlisted applicants who meet the required job qualifications will be contacted.