The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Other British Government Departments (Partners across Government, including UK Visas)
UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Consulate General in Istanbul is part of a worldwide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is looking for a UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Entry Clearance Manager for its UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) section.
The position holder will be responsible for managing in a way that enhances the performance and develops the potential of all staff within the department, preventing immigration abuse and protecting integrity of the systems that bring communities together and improve the UK’s competitiveness as a destination for travel, trade, migration & investment.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage resources and oversee processes to ensure that visa applications are assessed and reviewed to a high standard of decision quality that Customer Service Standards are met and exceeded and that UKVI Operating Mandate is adhered to;
- Motivate and support visa section staff through effective line management, by providing practical guidance and clear goals and ensuring regular constructive dialogue and open communication;
- Promote and uphold high professional standards, endorsed by personal example and encourage individual responsibility for maintaining the overall professionalism and integrity of the Visa Section;
- Ensure all management controls are in place and checks are carried out in accordance with Best Practice guidelines and that statistical returns are fully and correctly completed within time limits;
- Manage resources proactively to ensure an effective response to changing demands and priorities including by active change management.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- A strong communicator with excellent spoken and written English;
- University degree or solid professional experience of 3 to 5 years;
- Previous Entry Clearance Officer experience;
- Understanding of Visa section and operation;
- A working knowledge of IT, including Microsoft Word and Excel;
- The ability to work as part of a team and be adaptable to new working methods;
- The ability to prioritise work effectively when under pressure;
- Able to work under pressure as part of a large team and complete tasks on time and to an agreed standard;
- Able to remain customer focused, polite and courteous under pressure;
- Able to manage own work with minimal supervision;
- Flexible and positive about working in a forward thinking, modern and motivated department, which is working at the forefront of visa work.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Office Management experience;
- Experience in managing teams;
- Human Resources expertise;
- Experience in working in an international or governmental organisation;
- Customer Service Management;
- Turkish language skills would be desirable, not mandatory.
Seeing the Big Picture, Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
3 October 2019
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post
British Consulate General
Starting monthly salary (USD)
2 March 2020
Other benefits and conditions of employment
- This is a full-time permanent contract, for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
- The monthly salary for this position is 3,251.74 USD gross C4 level. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax required by local law.
- All applicants should have permission to live in Turkey. Applicants must hold a passport valid for at least 12 months for any of the following: UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or any EU country (note – Non British Passport Holders must also have Turkish Nationality).
- The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and a probation period of 2 months.
- Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Turkish employment law.
- British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We are committed to developing a learning organisation that enhances business performance, maximises our staff’s potential and encourages staff innovation and development.
- Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
- We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
- Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
- Please be advised that the British Consulate General will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
- Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinturkey.com/embassyjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in both on the application form and in the cover letter where you saw this posting (vacanciesinturkey.com)