|Expected Starting date:||ASAP|
- Dünya Doktorları Derneği
Dünya Doktorları Dernegi (DDD)/Mececins du Monde Turkey (MDM-T) is a Turkish based humanitarian non-governmental organisation that facilitates access to healthcare for populations affected by armed conflict, violence, natural disasters, disease, famine, poverty and exclusion.
Our organization collaborates with partners and key stakeholders to implement projects that facilitate access to primary and secondary-level healthcare services to respond to the medical needs of displaced population.
DDD is the 16th member of the Doctors of the World International Network that is committed to meeting the health needs of vulnerable people globally.
Since 2015, DDD implements programs in both Turkey and Syria providing refugee and IDP communities with free access to healthcare services. DDD works with a range of humanitarian professionals and technical experts to provide Primary Healthcare (PHC), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS)services as well as sexual and reproductive health (SRH).
Since the beginning of the Syria and Iraqi crises, Turkey has become host to over 3 million refugees, migrants and asylum seekers which led to an increasing demand for health services. In this context, DDD’s intervention aims to assist local public health systems in providing and improving access to health and health related services to vulnerable populations among refugees and migrants in Turkey, specifically in Hatay, Izmir and Istanbul. In Syria, DDD runs health facilities in Idlib and Afrin provinces to deliver health-related services to IDPs.
- Hierarchical & Functional links
Based in Antakya, The Psychiatry Referent will work together with the Medical and MHPSS Coordination team to provide support to psychiatric activities in the projects of DDD in Syria and Turkey. S/he will provide supervision and training to field staff working in İdlib and Afrin, in particular to MH GAP trained physicians working in DDD Primary Health Care (PHC) clinics. For Turkey projects, the Psychiatry Referent will monitor the work of project psychiatrists and set plans to enhance the psychiatric component of DDD’s MHPSS centers. The Psychiatry Referent will take the lead in ensuring high quality care is provided to all beneficiaries needing psychiatric services. The duties encompass providing feedback to the MHPSS Coordination team regarding activities, progress and needs, and establishing joint plans.
The Psychiatry Referent will work closely with other MHPSS staff and the medical team and will report directly to the MHPSS coordinator who is based in İstanbul.
- Main Responsibilities
- Weekly supervision with MH GAP doctors
- Monthly supervision with psychiatrists and monitoring system
- Monitoring and oversight of care provided to complex cases
- Capacity building
- Developing guidance documents for psychiatric management
- Assist the MHPSS Coordinator with pharmaceutical requests.
- Other related tasks
- Function Details
Weekly supervision with MH GAP doctors
- Develop and maintain an interdisciplinary approach to MH patients’ management by reviewing treatment plans and progress, consulting and collaborating with primary care medical doctors, psychologists, nurses and other health care providers.
- Actively participate in clinical supervisions, team meetings, medical case reviews, and patient treatment plans.
- Providing technical performance evaluations of MH GAP doctors
Monthly supervision with psychiatrists and monitoring system
- Providing monthly supervision to project psychiatrists individual or in group
- Establishing monitoring system of psychiatric care provided in Turkey and Syria programs.
Monitoring and oversight of care provided to complex cases
- The Psychiatry Referent is the technical referent for MH GAP doctors and psychologists working in all Syria Mission projects, as well as for psychiatrists in the Turkey project, ensuring capacity for the evaluation of psychiatric needs for primarily complicated/unstable mental health patients or who are newly diagnose and not improving. In this capacity, s/he will elaborate a diagnosis, establish a treatment plan (or revise the current one) , provide /review and monitor the pharmacological treatment and follow-up each patient and clinical outcomes according to DDD protocols within view to improve their mental health conditions. These consultations are typically conducted by telephone /skype, as such the Psychiatry Referent will support the DDD health staff directly responsible for the care of these patients.
- For Syria project, the Psychiatry Referent will be the focal point/gate keeper to sanction and authorize all patients’ referrals, in collaboration and in support to the medical and mental health DDD teams. Referrals whenever necessary will be authorized to other health professionals/institutions in order to provide the most appropriate treatment. Act as a liaison with psychiatric tertiary referral hospitals (when available) when psychiatric admissions are required.
- Be available 24/7 to provide ad hoc/emergency telephone consultations to medical providers for very complex patients or challenging patient situations (as above).
- In collaboration with other MHPSS and medical team member assist in defining, developing and delivering in-service specialized training regarding current understanding of best practices for the recognition and treatment of mental health conditions in primary health care.
- Assist and train others (I/L) NGO staff members to enhance the holistic response provided by DDD to psychiatric cases.
Developing guidance documents for psychiatric management
- In collaboration with the MHPSS coordinator assure quality and safe service for patients and staff by developing policies, procedures, standards, rules and regulations.
- In collaboration with MHPSS coordinator, implement and update quality monitoring tools (formats, clinical files, data base) to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of the MH program related to his /her scope of responsibility.
- Report on weekly and monthly basis to the Medical coordinator regarding activities.
Assist the MHPSS Coordinator with pharmaceutical requests.
- Provide a mission report and/or handover document at the end of contract.
- Any other related DDD tasks as assigned by supervisor/line manager.
Compliance & Ethics
Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Dünya Doktorları Derneği. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Dünya Doktorları Derneği and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Dünya Doktorları Derneği and amongst beneficiaries served by Dünya Doktorları Derneği.
NB: considering the purpose and values of the organisation, DDD requests to its employee complete flexibility in term of duties and commitment, as their job description and job title can be adjusted throughout the year according to needs and priorities.
- Expected profile
- Essential: Certified Psychiatrist with complete MH GAP training.
- Extensive clinical experience in psychiatry (at least 3 years); including experience working with displaced people, survivors of violence, survivors of gender-based violence, and at least 3 years with NGOs
- Good understanding of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) programming
- Understanding of psychiatric care context in Turkey
- Cultural sensitivity, strong commitment to human rights and gender equality, genuine interest in people and in supporting migrant and vulnerable populations
- Willingness to travel to project locations to meet and support field teams whenever possible
- Ability to work within a multicultural team and with diverse populations
- Languages: Fluent in Arabic and English (spoken and written) is mandatory, Turkish and Kurdish will be an asset.
- Good computer skills.
Dünya Doktorları Derneği is an equal opportunity employer whereby we ensure all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without the practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- How to apply:
- To apply for the position, please click here.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form and in your motivation letter) where (vacanciesinturkey.com) you discovered this job posting.
- The deadline for submitting the applications 06.09.2019.
Due to the urgency to fill this post, DDD reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged.
DDD is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
DDD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.