Terms of Reference – Country Director
Full-time Position, 12-month Contract
Founded in 2004, Building Markets is an award-winning nonprofit that creates jobs and encourages economic growth in crisis-affected countries by connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains and investment. Through this approach, the organization has built a network of more than 23,000 verified SMEs, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create over 70,000 jobs in countries like Afghanistan, Haiti, Timor-Leste, and Liberia. Building Markets is headquartered in New York City and currently operates programs in Jordan, Myanmar and Turkey. For more information, please visit www.buildingmarkets.org and https://entrepreneurs.buildingmarkets.org
The role of Country Director (CD) is an exciting position for a results-driven leader to guide a dynamic and talented team of staff and partners who are changing the way buyers and investors do business with local entrepreneurs in Turkey. The CD will lead the overall coordination and delivery of project services on behalf of Building Markets under a grant that expands the organization’s three-year track record supporting over 1,100 Syrian-owned and local SMEs. The CD is responsible for exceeding program targets, and for the smooth and efficient running of all aspects of the country office, including, but not limited to, overall program strategy, quality implementation, finance, HR and logistics, as well as compliance with organizational, local, and donor rules and regulations. The CD is expected to successfully oversee a demanding workload that involves external representation while ensuring the smooth day-to-day activities of the program. The CD will have a successful track record of managing large projects in challenging environments along with demonstrated skills building and maintaining productive external and internal relationships.
Responsibilities and Duties
Strategic Management and Leadership
- Lead country office and program, including facilitating project strategic planning, developing detailed program work plans, setting team objectives, and designing monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning framework;
- Provide technical inputs and guidance to Building Markets programmatic strategy and operations in Turkey;
- Oversee needs assessments, evaluations, and monitoring visits;
- Identify development opportunities and implement fundraising strategy in partnership with Building Markets Headquarters (HQ).
Program Management and Delivery
- Responsible for being familiar with Building Markets’ model, past successes, best practices, products and services, and methodologies;
- Oversee and coordinate the Turkey program portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality, impact, and accountability – including the timely execution of deliverables;
- Engage with all steps of the project management cycle (needs assessments, proposal development, implementation, monitoring, reporting, and evaluating);
- Prepare monthly management reports and submit to Project Director;
- With Project Director at HQ and Director of Finance and Administration in Turkey, develop and implement protocol for engagement with Building Markets’ contractors – including implementation of Building Markets’ policies and contracts and assessment of deliverables, and related to sub-grantees;
- Approve sub-grantee work plans and establish regular communication channels to ensure problems are identified early so that corrective measures can be implemented in a timely manner;
- Ensure proper management of large data sets and data systems;
- With HQ, ensure Building Markets meets all contractual obligations and achieves high quality donor reports that are submitted on time;
- Attend regular meetings with HQ and assure proper flow and maintenance of information;
- Ensure results, case studies, and success stories are documented and communicated regularly.
- Lead the development of a representation strategy for Building Markets at the local and national level with government, business associations, corporations, UN agencies, NGOs, and donors;
- Communicate effectively to ensure relationships are developed and maintained that promote program success;
- Liaise with senior managers of other relevant organizations to identify common challenges, solutions to operational concerns, and opportunities for partnerships;
- Delegate representation appropriately, based on activity streams.
Human Resource and Team Management
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect in which team members thrive and strive to achieve excellence;
- Promote accountability, regularly communicate expectations, and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews;
- Mentor field staff on management skills needed (planning, prioritization, organizational, financial management, representation, HR management);
- With HQ approve recruitment and selection of new team members.
Finance and Logistics
- Supervise in-country operational budget, economy, and reporting from country office;
- Ensure Building Markets’ programs remain cost-effective, efficient, and comply with all organizational and donor standards of management and accountability;
- Guarantee adherence to Building Markets and donor policies.
- Supervise preparation of monthly reports;
- As part of budget management, provide financial approvals as per the matrix of delegated authority;
- Provide analysis to HQ as requested;
- Optimize funds and resources allocated to the implementation of the programs.
- Responsible for safety and security of all staff, based on organization’s security plan and policies.
Reports to the Program Director at Headquarters
Required Qualifications and Education
- Master’s Degree in Business Management, International Development, or related sector;
- Demonstrated senior management experience providing oversight in supervisory roles, with significant experience working on large private sector or development projects;
- Demonstrated experience achieving high impact targets in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience implementing U.S. Government grants and familiarity with grant compliance requirements;
- Fluency in English including excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated experience managing teams effectively, with strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong work ethic and commitment to timely delivery of high-quality products;
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively with others;
- Ability to constructively receive and provide critical feedback.
- Fluency in English and Turkish (written and oral).
- Arabic language skills;
- Demonstrated anti-fraud competencies;
- Understanding of the Turkish operating environment as it relates to the work of national and international NGOs a plus.
- Travel in Turkey, the region, and to HQ
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Interested candidates are invited to send a CV/resume, cover letter, and three professional references by email to [email protected] not later than August 19, 2019. The subject line must read “001-CountryDirector – Turkey”. Incomplete applications will not be considered. **
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify where (vacanciesinturkey.com) you discovered this job posting.