Full-Time Faculty Position
Industrial Engineering Program (Advert Reference Code: IE-1-2019)
Sabanci University, Istanbul, Turkey
The Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences at Sabanci University invites applications for full-time faculty positions in the Industrial Engineering Program. The rank is open, and the appointment starts in Spring or Fall 2020. The candidates must have earned a doctorate degree in Industrial Engineering, Operations Research or a related discipline, and must demonstrate a high potential for excellence in research and teaching.
Candidates should have expertise in one of core IE/OR fields: optimization, stochastic/statistical modelling and simulation. We hope to expand our current domain interests; we are looking for colleagues with possibly complementary interests to the existing ones in our group. Candidates with research interests in one or several of the following areas are particularly encouraged to apply:
- Data Science and Data-Driven Optimization: Main interest should focus on modelling data-intensive applications and data-based research preferably with large real-life data sets. Expertise on solving optimization problems that arise in data science and machine learning is highly desirable. Experience in data analytics, statistical learning and computational/applied statistics is considered as a plus.
- Applied Optimization: Main interest should focus on modelling large and complex systems and solution of resulting optimization problems. Expertise in large-scale, stochastic, multi-criteria or multi-level optimization is highly desirable. Experience in one of the following domains is a plus: health-care services and systems, market design and policy analysis in energy systems, green logistics and energy-efficient transportation, city logistics, smart infrastructures and intelligent transportation.
- Stochastic Systems and Simulation: Experience in simulation modeling, statistical methods, as well as stochastic processes is highly desirable. Ability to conduct data-based research, preferably with large real-life data sets, would be a plus.
Desired qualifications also include ability to participate in multidisciplinary and/or transdisciplinary research teams and commitment to research addressing problems of high societal impact with application domains such as health-care services, energy systems, biological systems, and environment and climate.
Sabanci University, http://www.sabanciuniv.edu/en, a privately funded premier academic institution, started instruction in the 1999-2000 academic year in its new state-of-the-art campus located in suburban Istanbul. The University offers 13 undergraduate programs and 30 graduate programs in three faculties (Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, School of Management). The University aims at establishing a high standard of academic excellence and a research-oriented atmosphere both for its faculty and for its students, while nurturing productive relationships particularly with the industries in the region, which constitute the industrial heartland of Turkey. The medium of instruction is English.
The Sabanci University was ranked as the best University according to the “University Innovation and Entrepreneurship Index” compiled by the Turkish Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology in 2017, 2016 and 2015. It is also the first Turkish foundation university to be included in the top 200 (182nd place) of the Times Higher Education (THE) 2014 Rankings and is ranked 13th among the universities under 50 years old worldwide.
- The applicants should submit their materials through the online application system at
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesinturkey.com) you discovered this job posting.
Evaluations of the applicants will begin on September 1, 2019. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but no later than the final deadline of March 1, 2020.
Dr. Tonguç Ünlüyurt ([email protected]) will be attending INFORMS 2019. Interested applicants are encouraged to contact Dr. Ünlüyurt for scheduling a preliminary interview.